Monday 7 May 2018

The Dazzling Heights - Book Review


The Dazzling Heights (The Thousandth Floor #2)
by Katharine McGee


What is it about:
All that glitters is not gold.

New York City, 2118. Manhattan is home to a thousand-story supertower, a breathtaking marvel that touches the sky. But amid high-tech luxury and futuristic glamour, five teenagers are keeping dangerous secrets…

Leda is haunted by memories of what happened on the worst night of her life. She’ll do anything to make sure the truth stays hidden—even if it means trusting her enemy.

Watt just wants to put everything behind him…until Leda forces him to start hacking again. Will he do what it takes to be free of her for good?

When Rylin wins a scholarship to an upper-floor school, her life transforms overnight. But being there also means seeing the boy whose heart she broke, and who broke hers in return.

Avery is tormented by her love for the one person in the world she can never have. She’s desperate to be with him…no matter the cost.

And then there’s Calliope, the mysterious, bohemian beauty who arrives in New York determined to cause a stir. And she knows exactly where to begin.

But unbeknownst to them all, someone is watching their every move, someone with revenge in mind. After all, in a world of such dazzling heights, just one wrong step can mean a devastating fall.


What did I think of it:
I was intrigued by the cover of this book, and it sounded like it might be a suspenseful YA read, so I decided to give it a try.

As you can see it's the second book in a series. I didn't know this, and truth be told only found out it's a second book when I had finished it and was curious if there were more books in the series. So it can absolutely be read without reading the first book.

The story is less suspenseful than I hoped, but it was very entertaining. There are several viewpoint characters, and I must say that I liked reading about them all. Some are less likeable than others, but even the less likeable characters are interesting. At times it was a total teenage drama fest, but I was having fun with it instead of getting annoyed.

The plot isn't all that exciting. It focuses more on all the relationships between the characters and all their petty and not so petty secrets. There was one storyline that felt a bit tacked on, but that might have been because I didn't read the first book. I also would have liked a bit more worldbuilding that really made it feel like the future. As it was it didn't feel particularly futuristic.

All in all an entertaining read. I might pick up the next book if I happen to run into it, but I won't hunt it down.

Why should you read it:
It's an enjoyable YA read.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: