Wednesday 5 July 2017

River of Teeth - Book Review


River of Teeth (River of Teeth #1)
by Sarah Gailey


What is it about:
In the early 20th Century, the United States government concocted a plan to import hippopotamuses into the marshlands of Louisiana to be bred and slaughtered as an alternative meat source. This is true.

Other true things about hippos: they are savage, they are fast, and their jaws can snap a man in two.

This was a terrible plan.

Contained within this volume is an 1890s America that might have been: a bayou overrun by feral hippos and mercenary hippo wranglers from around the globe. It is the story of Winslow Houndstooth and his crew. It is the story of their fortunes. It is the story of his revenge.


What did I think of it:
Some of you may know I love hippos.

So maybe you can understand I wasn't able to resist when I saw mention of this novella about feral hippos and hippo wranglers.

And even though it was a bit pricey for its size I can tell you it was worth every cent.

Winslow and his crew are a diverse group of mercs. Some I immediately liked, others I had my doubts about. Together they set out to rid the marshlands of the feral hippos. Little do they know there's more opposition to this plan than you'd expect.

This being a novella character building has to be short and sweet, which made that some of the characters are a bit grotesque. That aside I very much enjoyed this story from start to finish. It has everything you could want from a novella about hippos in the American marshland: Hippo wranglers, feral man-eating hippos, hippo mayhem, betrayal, and much more.

The ending was quite epic and left a lot of things open, so I'm glad there will be a second book in September. You bet I'll get my trotters on it!

Why should you read it:
Hippo mayhem!


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: