Friday 28 July 2017

Heroine Complex - Book Review


Heroine Complex (Heroine Complex #1)
by Sarah Kuhn


What is it about:
Being a superheroine is hard. Working for one is even harder.

Evie Tanaka is the put-upon personal assistant to Aveda Jupiter, her childhood best friend and San Francisco's most beloved superheroine. She's great at her job—blending into the background, handling her boss's epic diva tantrums, and getting demon blood out of leather pants.

Unfortunately, she's not nearly as together when it comes to running her own life, standing up for herself, or raising her tempestuous teenage sister, Bea.

But everything changes when Evie's forced to pose as her glamorous boss for one night, and her darkest comes out: she has powers, too. Now it's up to her to contend with murderous cupcakes, nosy gossip bloggers, and supernatural karaoke battles—all while juggling unexpected romance and Aveda's increasingly outrageous demands. And when a larger threat emerges, Evie must finally take charge and become a superheroine in her own right... or see her city fall to a full-on demonic invasion.


What did I think of it:
This book starts out with a fight between Aveda Jupiter and murderous cupcakes, and I was immediately hooked!

What a fun read!

I really liked Evie, even though I thought she was letting herself be treated like a doormat at first. The events she gets involved in, force her to make some important decisions, including how she lets other people treat her. Most of the other characters were fun to read about as well. My favorites were Nate, the stoic scientist, and Lucy, Aveda's personal trainer and Karaoke champion. I didn't much care for Evie's sister at first, but there's some really interesting character growth in both Evie and Bea that made me reconsider later in the book.

I loved how much humor this book has, while still being a really suspenseful read. What is going on? Will Evie manage to save the day? What weird situation will she get involved in next? What's with the breakfast cereal?

All in all this is a fast paced, fun and funny read, and I can tell you I ordered the next book in this trilogy right after finishing this book. And not because this one ends with a cliffhanger, but because it's just that good!

Why should you read it:
It's a really fun and action-packed Superheroine read.


Buy from bookdepository

1 comment:

Melliane said...

I'm glad to see it was good! now I know I should try!