Friday 21 April 2017

Dandelions - Early Book Review


Dandelions: An Ash & Ruin Companion Novel
by Shauna Granger


What is it about:
At fifteen years old, Gwen’s world has ended. Not because she’s gone through a break-up. Not because her parents are ruining her life with a lame curfew. Not because her grades are struggling. Not in the way a fifteen-year-old’s life usually ends.

At fifteen years old, Gwen has burned the dead bodies of both her parents and fortified her home against the plague-spreading monsters who killed them, waiting for her sister, Maggie, to make her way back home in the apocalyptic landscape that is the world now.

At fifteen years old, Gwen’s world has ended, but she’s not giving up. She’s not giving up on life, her home, or her sister. Because all you have left when the world ends is hope, so that’s what she’s got, a BB gun and hope.

Hopefully it’ll be enough.


What did I think of it:
I love Granger's Ash & Ruin trilogy with a passion! So much so that I even ordered a t-shirt of the series at Redbubble.

So I was over the moon when I got an early copy of Dandelions which is a Companion novel to the trilogy.

And this book is so good!

I love post apocalyptic fiction and this book gave me everything I love about the genre: people trying to survive in a world gone bad, evil critters, devastation, human nature at its best and worst, etc...

Gwen is a great heroine. She's on her own, trying her best to survive and to keep hope that things will get better. She's smart and resourceful, but when others show up, she has some important choices to make. What is the right thing to do? And is the right thing the smart thing to do?

I love the setting, which is basically the deserted neighborhood Gwen lives in, but Granger manages to make the most of it, using both setting and atmosphere to drag you into this suspenseful and emotional story about survival and hope.

I was hooked form the start and had to read on to learn more about Gwen, her choices, and the people who invade her territory.

All in all this is a wonderful and awesome post apocalyptic story and I can only hope Granger will write more books set in this world.

You bet I'll be stalking bookdepository so I can get my grabby trotters on the print version as soon as it releases.

Why should you read it:
It's an awesome post apocalyptic YA read.


Expected release date: April 25, 2017

Find buy links here

No comments: