Wednesday 22 March 2017

Wintersong - Book Review


Wintersong
by S. Jae-Jones


What is it about:
The last night of the year. Now the days of winter begin and the Goblin King rides abroad, searching for his bride…

All her life, Liesl has heard tales of the beautiful, dangerous Goblin King. They’ve enraptured her mind, her spirit, and inspired her musical compositions. Now eighteen and helping to run her family’s inn, Liesl can’t help but feel that her musical dreams and childhood fantasies are slipping away.

But when her own sister is taken by the Goblin King, Liesl has no choice but to journey to the Underground to save her. Drawn to the strange, captivating world she finds—and the mysterious man who rules it—she soon faces an impossible decision. And with time and the old laws working against her, Liesl must discover who she truly is before her fate is sealed.


What did I think of it:
I have very mixed feelings on this book. Mostly it's an entertaining story, but it hit on several of my pet peeves.

First there's Liesl. She's the kind of sibling I hate the most in stories about families: the oldest child, who's convinced her younger siblings will ruin their lives if she isn't there for them to decide what's best for them and to wipe their nose for them. Even worse: Liesl throws in an unhealthy dose of martyrdom as well. I could have lived with this if I had the feeling her journey to the Underground really changed her, and made her see what she's doing, but by the end of the book I had my doubts about that. She might have learned something, but I do wonder if she changed her twisted views on sisterly love.

Then there was the unnecessary use of German words. Yes, yes, the story is set in Germany, you don't have to throw in a 'mein Herr' every couple of pages to remind us. If the book is in English stick to English. And yes: probably a very personal pet peeve, but it kept jarring me out of the story.

Anything good?

I really loved the Underground, the goblins, and the Goblin King. I liked how he tried to interact with Liesl. If only Liesl had been different I'd have loved this story. But Liesl being who she is, I felt sorry for the Goblin King and wanted to tell him not to bother.

All in all a well written, entertaining read even though I didn't warm up to the lead character. I might give something else by Jae-Jones a try if it sounds interesting.

Why should you read it:
It has goblins!


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: