Friday 18 November 2016

Prisoner - Book Review by Voodoo Bride


Prisoner (Criminals & Captives #1)
by Annika Martin and Skye Warren


What is it about:
He seethes with raw power the first time I see him—pure menace and rippling muscles in shackles. He’s dangerous. He’s wild. He’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.

So I hide behind my prim glasses and my book like I always do, because I have secrets too. Then he shows up in the prison writing class I have to teach, and he blows me away with his honesty. He tells me secrets in his stories, and it’s getting harder to hide mine. I shiver when he gets too close, with only the cuffs and the bars and the guards holding him back. At night I can’t stop thinking about him in his cell.

But that’s the thing about an animal in a cage—you never know when he’ll bite. He might use you to escape. He might even pull you into a forest and hold a hand over your mouth so you can’t call for the cops. He might make you come so hard, you can’t think.

And you might crave him more than your next breath.


What did Voodoo Bride think of it:
I've known for a long time that Carolyn Crane also writes as Annika Martin, but I thought she only wrote books that have menages in them. As I like my romances one on one I didn't pay much attention to the books she wrote as Annika Martin.

Imagine my surprise when I saw this book mentioned in her newsletter. It sounded like the perfect sexy read for me, so I impulse bought it right away.

And what a delicious read!

It's dark, sexy and so good.

I will warn that this book is not for people who do not like non-con or dub-con. Abigail gets abducted by Grayson and there are scenes that will pull triggers for some people. Grayson is someone with a dark past and it made him into someone who is dangerous and who takes what he wants. It's Abigail who makes him realize things can be different.

For me the story stays well within the lines of things I can handle in my romances. I was warned it was edgy and controversial, and I will confess that I thought the story would be a lot darker than it is.

The book is at its best when Abigail and Grayson are out on the run. The tension between them makes you hunger for a release, and I loved seeing them slowly open up towards each other. Near the end of the book other things happen and more characters are introduced, making for a finale that leaves you both satisfied where it comes to Abigail and Grayson, and hungry for more in this setting. Of the characters that have been introduced I already have a favorite who I hope will get his own book.

And you bet I will try Annika Martin's Dangerous Royals series, because as far as I can tell that's menage free as well.

Why should you read it:
It's a deliciously dark Romance read.


Buy from bookdepository

2 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I know I skim stuff, but I so want to try her books

Sullivan McPig said...

I will be reading the first Dangerous Royals soon.
I also read the first bankrobber book, but menages aren't my thing.