Tuesday 25 October 2016

Memento Nora - Book Review


Memento Nora (Memento Nora #1)
by Angie Smibert


What is it about:
On an otherwise glossy day, a blast goes off and a body thuds to the ground at Nora's feet. There are terrorist attacks in the city all the time, but Nora can't forget.

In Nora's world you don't have to put up with nightmares. Nora goes with her mother to TFC--a Therapeutic Forgetting Clinic. There, she can describe her horrible memory and take a pill to erase it so she can go on like nothing ever happened. But at TFC a chance encounter with a mysterious guy changes Nora's life. She doesn't take the pill. And when Nora learns the memory her mother has chosen to forget, she realizes that someone needs to remember.

With newfound friends Micah and Winter, Nora makes a comic book of their memories called Memento. Memento is an instant hit, but it sets off a dangerous chain of events. Will Nora, Micah, and Winter be forced to take the Big Pill that will erase their memories forever?


What did I think of it:
Maybe I'm too cynical, maybe it's because I read other YA books like the Razorland trilogy, The Enemy series, or The Hallowed Ones duology (which both tell a great story and manage to tackle important issues without making it too obvious.) but the last few "thought provoking" Dystopians I read didn't impress me.

This book is yet another nice read, but not as gripping and thought provoking as I had hoped it would be.

I liked Nora and the people she meets. I liked how they wanted to do something, but how it all developed didn't hold any bite for me. It all stayed to close to the surface. I had wanted a bit more emotion and soul searching on the side of the main characters. The world building lacked in giving me a sense of looming danger as well, and when people do show up to take our little rebels down I wasn't invested in their problems.

All in all a fast, nicely written Dystopian, that did not succeed in making me want to read the next book.

Why should you read it:
It's a nice Dystopian read


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide


No comments: