Wednesday 24 February 2016

Public Enemies - To DNF or not to DNF


Public Enemies (Immortal Game #2)
by Ann Aguirre


What is it about:
Learn the rules of the game…and then play better than anyone else.

Through a Faustian bargain, Edie Kramer has been pulled into the dangerous world of the Immortal Game, where belief makes your nightmares real. Hungry for sport, fears-made-flesh are always raising the stakes. To them, human lives are less than nothing, just pieces on a board.

Because of her boyfriend Kian’s sacrifice, she’s operating under the mysterious Harbinger’s aegis, but his patronage could prove as fatal as the opposition. Raw from deepest loss, she’s terrified over the deal Kian made for her. Though her very public enemies keep sending foot soldiers—mercenary monsters committed to her destruction—she’s not the one playing under a doom clock. Kian has six months…unless Edie can save him. And this is a game she can’t bear to lose.


Why I'm struggling:
First: I love almost all books by Ann Aguirre that I've read. Especially her Razorland Trilogy is amazing!

I also really liked the first book in this series, and I was over the moon when I received an ARC of Public Enemies last year.

And I still haven't finished it...

I want to love this book, but instead I struggle to get through it, putting it aside to read other books in between, picking it up again, etc. There's lots of things going on in this book, but still it feels slow.

That it feels like a slow and even passive story is mainly because so far (I'm almost halfway through) it feels like Edie is not acting, but reacting. Things happen and Edie reacts. I find myself wanting her to take control and do something proactive.

I'm at the point that I'm asking myself: should I keep reading and hope that Edie will act, or shall I give up? If this was a book by a 'new to me author' I would most probably have given up by now, but because Aguirre is one of my 'preorder as soon as you can' authors I keep trying, hoping to fall in love with this book as I have with her other books.

Most probably I will keep struggling until I either find the flow of this book or reach the end. I'm hoping it will be the first, because there are a lot of intriguing things to this story.

How about you:
Read this book and can tell me if I should read on? Or had similar experience with another book?


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments: