Monday 9 November 2015

Fortune's Pawn - Book Review


Fortune's Pawn (Paradox #1)
by Rachel Bach


What is it about:
Devi Morris isn't your average mercenary. She has plans. Big ones. And a ton of ambition. It's a combination that's going to get her killed one day - but not just yet.

That is, until she just gets a job on a tiny trade ship with a nasty reputation for surprises. The Glorious Fool isn't misnamed: it likes to get into trouble, so much so that one year of security work under its captain is equal to five years everywhere else. With odds like that, Devi knows she's found the perfect way to get the jump on the next part of her Plan. But the Fool doesn't give up its secrets without a fight, and one year on this ship might be more than even Devi can handle.


What did I think of it:
This is an awesome SF read.

Devi is the kind of heroine you either love or hate. She's cocky, brash, and she knows what she wants. Bach gave her enough flaws to keep her human though, and I couldn't help liking Devi in spite of her cockiness.

The crew of The Glorious Fool is a mixed bag. I really didn't like the captain and his sister-in-law, but I loved the two aliens they have on their crew. I also loved Cotter, a merc, and Rupert, the cook. There were some other characters I didn't think much of, but who got more depth later in the story.

The world building was really cool. The different governments, planets, and aliens were well worked out and felt believable. The technology, like Devi's armor and weapons, also felt very real without the story turning too technical minded for my tastes.

The story was suspenseful and full of cool, fast paced action. I loved how Devi, due to her brashness and curiosity, gets drawn into a world full of conspiracies and danger. She uncovers some things, but enough stays hidden to make you anxious to find out more.

The book ends in a way that had me totally frustrated, but also eager for more. Luckily I already have the other books in this series, because I need to know what happens next.

Why should you read it:
It's an amazing SF read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery