Monday 13 October 2014

Daughter of Smoke & Bone - Book Review


Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #1)
by Laini Taylor


What is it about:
Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.

When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?


What did I think of it:
Everyone who read this book seemed to love it, so I decided I had to give it a try.

And for most I really enjoyed this book.

The world building is dark and magical. The creatures are intriguing, and even though I didn't particularly like Karou, I was invested in the story. Then of course a character was introduced who I really liked, and that character died of course...

No problem, I'm used to that, and Akiva was introduced as well, and I also really liked Akiva. And when Akiva and Karou got to know each other, I even started to like Karou more.

The developments and discoveries where really suspenseful, up until there was a flashback in the story. I know it was needed to show the reader some important things, but for me the story lost steam at this point and I had trouble getting through this part of the story.

The ending did make me curious to what's going to happen next though, and all in all this book was cool enough that I most probably will continue to read this series.

Why should you read it:
It's a Paranormal Ya read with a very cool setting.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

3 comments:

Jeffe Kennedy said...

I received this one as a gift and it's been in my pile for a while...

Jeffe Kennedy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blodeuedd said...

Oh no, I do not feel that you liked it as much as I did, but still you liked it well enough :D