Monday 25 August 2014

My Soul to Take - Book Review


My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers #1)
by Rachel Vincent


What is it about:
She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.


What did I think of it:
I've been eyeing this series for a while now, and what kept me from picking it up, is my previous experience with Vincent's books. I read Stray, and that was a nice read, but it didn't convince me to continue that series. I read Blood Bound, and loathed the characters. So even though this series sounded intriguing, I kept putting off buying the first book.

Then I had the opportunity to get my trotters on the first two book in this series in a book trade, and I took the plunge.

And I must say: My Soul to Take is the first book by Vincent that makes me eager to pick up the next book in the series.

I will confess I did think Kaylee was much too trusting, and ready to believe impossible things from people she barely knows, but that's not anything new in YA. :-p I really feel like I must have been one of the most cynical and distrusting teens ever.

That aside this is a really fun and original story. I really liked the use of mythology in this book. I also actually liked most of the lead characters for once. I did grumble a bit over the peppy cheerleaders are evil message, but overall I enjoyed this story.

Some things were a bit predictable, but as I mentioned in reviews about other predictable books, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

All in all this book was a pleasant surprise after the trouble I had with Vincent's other books, and I'm happy I already have book two waiting in my tbr-pile, because I'm curious where Vincent will take this series next.

Why should you read it:
It's an enjoyable Paranormal YA read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

1 comment:

Blodeuedd said...

I hope you enjoy the rest!