Friday 18 July 2014

Knight's Curse - Book Review


Knight's Curse (Knight's Curse #1)
by Karen Duvall


What is it about:
A skilled knife fighter since the age of nine, Chalice knows what its like to live life on the edge precariously balanced between the dark and the light. But the time has come to choose. The evil sorcerer who kidnapped her over a decade ago requires her superhuman senses to steal a precious magical artifact or she must suffer the consequences.

Desperate to break the curse that enslaves her, Chalice agrees. But it is only with the help of Aydin, her noble warrior-protector that she will risk venturing beyond the veil to discover the origins of her power. Only for him will she dare to fully embrace her awesome talents. For a deadly duel is at hand, and Chalice alone will have to decide between freedom and the love of her life.


What did I think of it:
This is a nice read.

I had some trouble connecting with Chalice. For a lead character with a troubled past, she felt a bit flat. I know she's been a slave of both the curse and her master since the age of thirteen, still you'd think she would have a bit more personality.

Luckily Aydin enters the stage and he's a lot more interesting. And through his interest in Chalice I finally started to like Chalice as well.

The story is intriguing and suspenseful, and it's that what kept me reading at first (before Aydin appeared). Luckily I connected with Chalice because later in the story things get much more emotional, and a lack of connection with the characters could have destroyed the enjoyment of this book.

So after a rocky start I enjoyed this story, and it ends in such a way that I will have to get my trotters on the next book to see what will happen next.

Why should you read it:
It's an enjoyable (Urban) Fantasy read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

2 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I should try it :)

Melliane said...

I'm quite curious as well, I think I could like it.