Sunday 23 March 2014

Some DNFs

Time to list a couple of books I tried to read, but put aside without finishing. In other words: DNF = Did Not finish.


The Iron King (The Iron Fey #1) by Julie Kagawa
Although I love Kagawa's Blood of Eden series, this book couldn't grab my attention. I felt no connection with the lead characters.


Life on the Preservation by Jack Skillingstead
Another book where I just didn't connect with the characters enough to care about what was happening.


Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) by Tahereh Mafi
The writing felt a bit pretentious, but worse was the political flavor that was stamped all over the world building. But it might just be me, I will confess I was in a grumpy mood when trying this book.

5 comments:

Aurian said...

Here is to grumpy moods. Do you give DNF's a second chance if you suspect it might be your mood and not so much the book itself?

Melliane said...

Oh it's sad, I really liked Iron king, and I'm really curious about the Mafi book, everyone love the series.

Nikki (www.bookpunks.com) said...

Ooh too bad about Life on the Preservation. I have that on my stack too. Wonder if I'll be able to get through it.

Sullivan McPig said...

@Aurian: sometimes. Probably not this one though.
@CCGorilla: the story and setting was cool, I just didn't care for the characters.

Aleksandra said...

I haven't tried the other two, but I understand about The Iron King. I actually finished it, but I didn't like most of the characters, and the story was nothing special, so you didn't miss anything by not finishing it, and I probably won't be continuing the series.