Friday 14 February 2014

Undead - Book Review


Undead (Undead #1)
by Kirsty McKay


What is it about:
Out of sight, out of their minds: It's a school-trip splatter fest and completely not cool when the other kids in her class go all braindead on new girl Bobby.

The day of the ski trip, when the bus comes to a stop at a roadside restaurant, everyone gets off and heads in for lunch. Everyone, that is, except Bobby, the new girl, who stays behind with rebel-without-a-clue Smitty.
Then hours pass. Snow piles up. Sun goes down. Bobby and Smitty start to flirt. Start to stress. Till finally they see the other kids stumbling back.

But they've changed. And not in a good way. Straight up, they're zombies. So the wheels on the bus better go round and round freakin' fast, because that's the only thing keeping Bobby and Smitty from becoming their classmates' next meal. It's kill or be killed in these hunger games, heads are gonna roll, and homework is most definitely gonna be late.


What did I think of it:
I picked this up because of the cover, which promised zombie mayhem.

And even though there could have been lots more zombie mayhem in my opinion, this is a very entertaining read. There's screaming teens, teen angsting, teen zombies, conspiracies, zombie chases and more.

I will confess I was a bit surprised to discover this book wasn't set in the US, but in Scotland, but for the story it didn't really matter where it was taking place, so I didn't mind.

Next to Bobby and Smitty some other teens manage to escape becoming zombies as well, and the four of them form a mismatched group of heroes. There's the usual stereotypes of course, but that makes a story like this only more entertaining. To be honest: I didn't pick this book up for originality, so I was more than happy with the cliches.

All in all this is a very enjoyable zombie romp that can easily be read as a standalone, but also sets itself up nicely for a sequel. I will certainly pick up that sequel next time I want some zombie entertainment.

Why should you read it:
It's a very entertaining Young Adult Zombie read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

3 comments:

Aurian said...

Nice review Sullivan, and I am glad it was entertaining, but you already know my opinion I bet ;)

Sullivan McPig said...

What if I tell you it wasn't creepy? ;-)

Aurian said...

It still has zombies. I really don't like to read about zombies.