Friday 31 January 2014

The Elite - Book Review


The Elite (The Selection #2)
by Kiera Cass


What is it about:
Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.


What did I think of it:
I really enjoyed the first book in this trilogy, so I just had to get my trotters on The Elite.

And although I still enjoyed many elements of this flawed Disney-flavored Dystopian fairytale, I was also seriously annoyed.

I mentioned in my review of The Selection how I thought Aspen was the most pathetic excuse for a love interest I encountered in quite a while. In this book he plays a much bigger role and he managed to get me even more pissed off than he did in book 1. Really: I can't understand why America likes him. Any sane girl would run for the hills instead of throwing herself in his arms.

And if Aspen isn't annoying enough: both America and Maxon are changing their feelings about things more often than a chameleon changes its colors during a firework show.

But even with all those annoyances this story has something addictive. I read this book in almost one sitting, totally captured by the sugary, disastrous love triangle.

There's more about the rebels in this book, as I predicted, but still its vague what they want and why. There's also some new characters introduced, and even though they had small parts in this book, I really liked some of them, and hope to see more of them in the next book.

Overall I enjoyed this book, although not as much as the first. Still I'm very curious what will happen next, so I will be reading the last book once it releases for sure.

Why should you read it:
Despite the most annoying love interest ever this is an enjoyable and entertaining read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

3 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I want to read it, BUT I am sure I would be sooo annoyed

Sullivan McPig said...

Oh, I'm sure you will be annoyed! I was. Still, these books have something really fun as well.

Aurian said...

The story must be really good to keep on reading if you dislike the main characters so much. Not sure I could do it.