Monday 16 July 2012

Rogue's Pawn - Interview with Jeffe Kennedy

This week in all about Jeffe Kennedy!
Today is the release day of her newest book Rogue's Pawn.
To celebrate this newest release we'll be posting an excerpt and review of the book this week, but today we bring you Jeffe herself!


Sullivan: Jeffe, welcome back to Pearls Cast Before A McPig. It’s good to have you here.

Jeffe: I love to be here! Sullivan’s and Voodoo Bride’s reviews are some of my favorites on the web.

Voodoo Bride: Aawww, thanks.
What can you tell us about Rogue’s Pawn?


Jeffe: It’s the story of a neuroscientist who accidentally falls into Faerie. Instead of the old Irish tale of falling drunkenly asleep on a hillside, she’s transported through a gate at Devils Tower. When she arrives, she discovers that all her wishes come true. Because she has a sharp and organized mind, her ideas manifest very well. But because she’s also passionate, emotional and untrained, disasters occur!

Voodoo Bride: Where did the idea for Rogue’s Pawn come from?

Jeffe: In the book, the heroine is haunted by dreams of a Black Dog. Near the beginning, she recounts the dream. And that’s the dream I had, only me facing that dog. It was a powerful, resonant moment and I wondered for a long time who the dog was and what it represented. After that, I had other dreams about being that woman, the sorceress. They all formed different scenes, both in this book and in the next ones.

Voodoo Bride: Rogue’s Pawn is the first book in a trilogy. When can we expect book 2 and 3? Is there a release date for those yet?

No release dates yet since I haven’t written them yet! What can you expect? The next two will continue to follow Rogue and Gwynn – I saw one reader ask about that and, yes, the trilogy is absolutely about them at the core. The other characters will follow their paths, too. Starling has a lot of growing up to do and there’s the matter of Darling and his fate. And Gwynn is really feeling like she needs to rescue Dragonfly…

Sullivan: I'm looking forward to read more about Darling.
Any chance there will be zombies in one of the next 2 books?


Jeffe: Just for you, Sullivan, I hereby promise at least one zombie, somewhere in the next two books. Solemnly sworn.

Sullivan: *does happy dance*


Voodoo Bride: I’ve heard you’re trying your hand at self publishing. How is that working out so far?


Jeffe: So far I haven’t done much, so it’s been easy! I’m waiting for my rights to revert on Petals and Thorns and for Loose Id to take it down. I suspect that will happen July 13, since that’s the book’s two-year anniversary. I have a new cover ready, so then all I have to do is format it and put it up again. And yes, I use “all” with a note of uncertainty…

Voodoo Bride: What do you like the most about being a published author?

Jeffe: Getting to legitimately stalk other authors, talk shop with them and get previews of their next books. It’s absolutely the most fun part!

Sullivan: And what do you like the least?

Jeffe: Hmm. Maybe the constant struggle of it? There’s always something more to do, another form of rejection to face, an author or book that’s doing better, seems shinier. A lot of that can be combated by keeping your head on straight, however.

Voodoo Bride: And lastly:
How are your other projects coming along? Any other releases coming up soon?


Jeffe: Yes! Hunting the Siren, a follow-up to Feeding the Vampire, comes out soon – though I don’t have an exact date, though I’d guess by August or September. And then Platinum, a follow-up to Sapphire, comes out in February. I’m working away on Rogue’s Pawn 2 (still mulling that title) and am about halfway done. I hope to have that done by the end of August!

Voodoo Bride: Sounds like a busy schedule. Thanks from dropping by and good luck with all your projects. We'll keep an eye out for more of your amazing books.
Sullivan: And zombies ;-)



****

Don't forget to drop by tomorrow for a excerpt from Rogue's Pawn!

5 comments:

B.E. Sanderson said...

Thanks, Voodoo Bride and Sullivan for interviewing Jeffe this morning. Rogue's Pawn is an awesome book. I can't wait to see what else she has in store for Rogue and Gwynn. =o)

Jeffe Kennedy said...

Now I have an idea about how to work the zombies in, too...

Aurian said...

Thanks for the lovely interview, I enjoyed reading it. Especially as I just read a very enthusiastic joint review of the book over at the Bookpushers blog. And I would like to add, I love that cover!

Sullivan McPig said...

@B.E. and Aurian: Thanks for dropping by.
@Jeffe: Yay!!!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I remember reading your thoughts on Rogue's Pawn. Sounds like a great read. :) Thanks for the awesome interview as well.