Thursday 19 July 2012

Rogue's Pawn - Book Review by Voodoo Bride

Rogue's Pawn (Covenant of Thorns #1)
by Jeffe Kennedy


What is it about:
This is no fairy tale…

Haunted by nightmares of a black dog, sick to death of my mind-numbing career and heart-numbing fiancé, I impulsively walked out of my life—and fell into Faerie. Terrified, fascinated, I discover I possess a power I can't control: my wishes come true. After an all-too-real attack by the animal from my dreams, I wake to find myself the captive of the seductive and ruthless fae lord Rogue. In return for my rescue, he demands an extravagant price—my firstborn child, which he intends to sire himself…

With no hope of escaping this world, I must learn to harness my magic and build a new life despite the perils—including my own inexplicable and debilitating desire for Rogue. I swear I will never submit to his demands, no matter what erotic torment he subjects me to…


What did Voodoo Bride think of it:
I love this book!

Kennedy creates a wonderful, yet dark world where wishes come true, but also might destroy you.

Jennifer/Gwynne is a heroine I really could relate to. She's practical and rational and I loved seeing her adapt to a world full of magic. She doesn't give up even when things get really tough and keeps looking for possibilities to turn the tables on those who wrong her.

Rogue on the other hand is dark and mysterious with a ruthlessness to him that makes him both sexy and a bit scary. I could totally understand why Jennifer/Gwynne can't make up her mind about Rogue. The relationship that builds between them is intense and believable and I can't wait to see how things between them will develop in the next two books.

Kennedy also did a really good job at characterizing the minor characters in this book. I especially fell in love with Blackbird and her daughter Starling and hope they will be in the next book as well.

The story itself was very different from what I expected when I started the book. There was lots more action and intrigue than I thought there would be and this was a pleasant surprise. Most Paranormal/Fantasy Romances focus just on the romance and are a bit sloppy on the story around that romance, but Rogue's Pawn luckily didn't have this flaw and instead delivers on both romance and story.

All in all this is a delightful read and I'm already longing for the next book in this trilogy to see what's next for Jennifer/Gwynne and the people close to her.

Why should you read it:
It's a beautiful and dark Fantasy Romance




Buy it here

3 comments:

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Thanks for the review! I've been following about the book here, and sounds like a real good one. :)

Aurian said...

Great review, I have read this heroine is very smart, and she does resist Rogue, so I would love to read this one myself. On the wishlist it is!

Sullivan McPig said...

Thanks for your comments. I love this book and am eagerly waiting for the next book in this trilogy.