Thursday 12 July 2012

Before I Fall - Book Review

Before I Fall
by Lauren Oliver


What is it about:
What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it turns out to be her last.

The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. Living the last day of her life seven times during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.


What did I think of it:
This was a nice read.

I will confess I disliked Samantha immensely at the start of the book. She's petty, selfish and shallow. The writing was very pleasant however and there were lots of hints as to what was to happen later in the book, so I kept reading.

And it turned out to be exactly the kind of story I thought it would be. It even felt a bit formulaic, but not enough to really annoy me. Instead I just sat back and enjoyed seeing the story unfold like I knew it would.

I will confess reading this book felt much like watching a teen movie. Both are predictable, but fun and give you this sense of having seen the story somewhere before. This might sound negative, but it's not meant like that at all. This book is like candy for your brain: it's an easy, relaxing and fun read.*

*I know: I should feel all weepy and emotional because this story does involve the death of the lead character, but to be honest there was just one moment in this book that touched me and it had nothing to do with dying. This might have been because I didn't much like Samantha and her friends, so maybe other people will find this book highly emotional.

All in all I very much enjoyed this book and I can easily see this turned into a Blockbuster movie. I might try other books by Lauren Oliver in the future.

Why should you read it:
It's a nice, uncomplicated YA read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide


4 comments:

Aurian said...

Lol, groundhog day anybody?

Sullivan McPig said...

Yup ;-)

Sullivan McPig said...

Yup ;-)

titania86 said...

This has been on my shelf for a while. It seems like her Delirium series and her middle grade novel Liesl and Po are better, but I would still give this one a read. Thanks for the honest review!