Thursday 26 January 2012

Blue Diablo - Book Review

Blue Diablo (Corine Solomon #1)
by Ann Aguirre


What is it about:
Corine Solomon is a handler. When she touches an object she instantly knows its history and its future. Using her ability, she can find the missing, which is why people never stop trying to find her. Like her ex-boyfriend Chance, who needs Corine's gift to find someone dear to them both. But the search proves dangerous as it leads them into a strange world of demons and sorcerers, ghosts and witchcraft, zombies, and black magic...

What did I think of it:
So far I've loved about almost everything I've read by Aguirre, so I was eager to give this Urban Fantasy series a try.

It's not as intense and awesome as Aguirre's Sirantha Jax series, but this first book in the Corine Solomon series sure is a great read.

Corine is an intriguing heroine and her gift is very original. The other characters are all very well written as well. The story is full of action and intrigue. There are some things that conveniently helped carry the story onwards that I hope will be explained in a future book, but apart from that this is a cool read.

It misses some of the emotion and intensity that I've grown used to in other books by Aguirre, but I must say I liked the lighter mood, because it gave this book its own clear voice.

I will most certainly continue to read this series as I will any other books Aguirre has written.

Why should you read it:
It's original, well written Urban Fantasy.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide


3 comments:

Michelle Greathouse said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one. :)

I didn't like it as well as I thought I would. Maybe it's because I had just finished my first Sirantha Jax and was hoping for the same amount of action and intensity.

I may have to revisit this series at a later date - give it another go.

Have a great day.

M

Mel said...

I have to admit I've not read the Jax books but I have the rest of this series and really enjoy the different spin Ann gives to the UF genre. The second book is my favourite!

Sullivan McPig said...

@Michelle: I can understand that if you expect the same intensity as the Jax books that it disappoints, but I can advice to give it another try.
@Mel: I'm having trouble getting hold of book 2 :-(