Wednesday 27 July 2011

My Life as a White Trash Zombie - Book Review

My Life as A White Trash Zombie (White Trash Zombie #1) by Diana Rowland

What is it about:
Angel Crawford is a loser

Living with her alcoholic deadbeat dad in the swamps of southern Louisiana, she's a high school dropout with a pill habit and a criminal record who's been fired from more crap jobs than she can count. Now on probation for a felony, it seems that Angel will never pull herself out of the downward spiral her life has taken.

That is, until the day she wakes up in the ER after overdosing on painkillers. Angel remembers being in an horrible car crash, but she doesn't have a mark on her. To add to the weirdness, she receives an anonymous letter telling her there's a job waiting for her at the parish morgue--and that it's an offer she doesn't dare refuse.

Before she knows it she's dealing with a huge crush on a certain hunky deputy and a brand new addiction: an overpowering craving for brains. Plus, her morgue is filling up with the victims of a serial killer who decapitates his prey--just when she's hungriest!

Angel's going to have to grow up fast if she wants to keep this job and stay in one piece. Because if she doesn't, she's dead meat.


What did I think of it:
I confess.... I bought this book because of the cover!

That being said: I really liked this story. Angel is a cool character, the concept is cool as well, the story is intriguing and funny at times, and Rowland's writing is decent. I did think the romantic storyline could have been fleshed out more than it is. Now it felt a bit too forced and unnatural.
The overall story was a bit slow too and this made me lose my interest at times, but the action that did happen was cool enough to get me through these slow parts to get to the ending of this book. I'm not sure if I will pick up other books in this series, but for a zombie book with hardly any zombie mayhem this is a pleasant read.

Why should you read it:
It's got a zombie that works at a morgue!


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

5 comments:

Michelle Greathouse said...

I can't wait to get my hands on this one. :)

Glad you enjoyed it.

M

titania86 said...

I picked this one up at Comic-Con because it was about zombies. I'm glad you liked it overall. The action sounds awesome.

Demented Wench said...

"It's got a zombie that works at a morgue!" If that isn't a reason to read a book I don't know what is. :)

Sullivan McPig said...

@Demented Wench: I know! I can't resist stuff like that.

Amber at The Musings of ALMYBNENR said...

I read and reviewed this one last week and absolutely loved it! Really, I was gushing throughout the entire thing. It's definitely a story to get new zombie readers to check out!