Monday 25 April 2011

Unholy Ghosts - Book Review


Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts #1) by Stacia Kane

What is it about:
The world is not the way it was. The dead have risen, and the living are under attack. The powerful Church of Real Truth, in charge since the government fell, has sworn to reimburse citizens being harassed by the deceased. Enter Chess Putnam, a fully tattooed witch and freewheeling ghost hunter. She’s got a real talent for banishing the wicked dead. But Chess is keeping a dark secret: She owes a lot of money to a murderous drug lord named Bump, who wants immediate payback in the form of a dangerous job that involves black magic, human sacrifice, a nefarious demonic creature, and enough wicked energy to wipe out a city of souls. Toss in lust for a rival gang leader and a dangerous attraction to Bump’s ruthless enforcer, and Chess begins to wonder if the rush is really worth it.

What did I think of it:
A gritty, disturbing, but also amazing Urban Fantasy story. Chess is no ordinary heroine, she's more of an anti-heroine with her drug addiction and ties to the underworld. Still she's very likeable and I rooted for her throughout the story. The worldbuilding, writing and characterisation were all very well done and intriguing and I even didn't mind the love triangle bit included in the story. The story itself was really cool, with lots of action, nasty magic and creepy ghost stuff. There are two small negative points: The street talk that is used by some of the characters grated on my nerves from time to time and there were some plot twists that were a bit too obvious in my opinion. But there were enough positive things in this story that those two points won't stop me from continuing this series.

Why should you read it:
It's a well written, gritty Urban Fantasy story with ghosts.

4 comments:

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

I really didn't think I'd be able to get into this book-but I was proven wrong and love the downside world! You get used to the downside talk in the next book. :)

Mel said...

I have to admit that I haven't picked this book yet because the idea of addict as a heroine didn't appeal but so many people have raved about this series, I think I have to give it a chance! :)

SusiSunshine said...

I so love this book. And I even got BF addicted to them. He gave book 3 5 stars (he actually never does that). Can't wait for the next one.
Great review.
And yes the slang really needed getting used to.

Sullivan McPig said...

Even if I do not get used to the slang I will continue this series as the story is great.