Monday 24 January 2011

Witches, the Dunwich Horror - Movie Review


Witches, the Dunwich Horror (2009)

What is it about:
In Louisiana, the thirty-five year old single mother Lavina delivers a baby boy and a monster in the evil Whateley House. Ten years later, Dr. Henry Armitage and his assistant Professor Fay Morgan discover that the page 751 of every copy of the Necronomicon is missing and The Black Brotherhood has summoned the gate keeper Yog Sothoth to leave the portal opened to the demons and ancient gods. They invite the arrogant and skeptical Professor Walter Rice that can translate the Necronomicon to help them to seek the book. Meanwhile Lavina's son Wilbur Whateley ages very fast and seeks the missing page to open the portal.

What did I think about it:
I've seen many horror movies based on Lovecraftian mythology, so by now I know most of those have two ways they can turn out:
- Horribly bad in a good way
(A great example of this is the movie Dagon (2001) or Necronomicon (1993))
- Horribly bad in a bad way
Witches, the Dunwich Horror falls among the second category.
It was both boring and over the top, which is quite a feat, but not something I want from my horror movies. Lovecraft's mythology was butchered in such a way I felt violated by the end of the movie. Add some annoying lead characters to that and you got me wondering why I even bothered to watch it till the end. I must have really hoped it would still redeem itself, but alas. Luckily it was on sale, so I didn't spend too much money on it.

Why should you watch it:
If you want to play a drinking game, you can watch this movie and drink a shot every time there's a new reference to a story by Lovecraft. You'll get so drunk you won't notice how bad this movie is.

4 comments:

Heidi V said...

LOL thats really bad...I'll pass thanks for the heads up!

Demented Wench said...

Oh my...

titania86 said...

I will gladly pass on this one. I was hoping for a good Lovecraft adaptation, but now I don't have to waste my time watching it. :)

Gini Koch said...

ROFL, awesome review. Sounds like a perfect candidate for our annual Bad Movie Night party...which is damning with very faint praise indeed.