Wednesday 26 January 2011

Taken by the Others - Book Review

Taken by the Others (H&W Investigations #2) by Jess Haines

What is it about:
Once, New York P.I. Shiarra Waynest's most pressing problem was keeping her agency afloat. Now she's dealing with two dangerous, seductive vampires who have been enemies for centuries. The only thing Max Carlyle and Alec Royce agree on is that they both want Shia--for very different reasons.

Max is determined to destroy Shia for killing his progeny, while Royce's interest is a lot more personal. That's not sitting well with Shia's werewolf boyfriend, Chaz. As the feud between Max and Royce gets ever more deadly, a powerful vampire-hunting faction is urging Shia to join their side. Shia has always believed vamps were the bad guys, but she's discovering unexpected shades of grey that are about to redefine her friends, her loyalties--and even her desires. . .


What did I think of it:
Hunted by the Others was among my top 5 books from 2010, so I can safely admit I was really looking forward to reading book two in this series.

And I must say: Wow!
It exceeded expectations!

I love this book and it's characters! Haines knows how to keep a tense and intriguing story going and how to shake the expectations of her readers. No black and white villains and heroes in this book: There are many shades of grey that keep shifting so I wasn't sure who to trust or not.

Shia is still the character I fell in love with in the first book, but she too is shaken by the things happening around her and has some personal growth to go through to keep up with the frightening world of the Others around her.

All in all a wonderful, tense and action packed story that leaves me yet again hungry for more. Luckily there are many more books planned.

Why should you read it:
It's an awesome UF read


2 comments:

Sharon S. said...

I just read both bookstand feel the same way you do. I like the fact that Shia has fallen into Alec's yet. She is listening to her head, unlike most heroines . can't wait for the next book.

Unknown said...

Awesome review!

I gotta read this one very soon LOL =D