Wednesday 27 October 2010

Bespelling Jane Austen - Book Review (part2)


Bespelling Jane Austen by Mary Balogh, Colleen Gleason, Susan Krinard and Janet Mullany

What is it about:
What if Austen had believed in reincarnation and vampires? Join four bestselling romance authors as they channel the wit and wisdom of Jane Austen.

Today I will review the last two stories in this anthology.
Find the first part of this book review here.

Blood and Prejudice by Susan Krinard
Set in the business world of contemporary New York City, Liz Bennett joins Mr. Darcy in his hunt for a vampire cure.

What did I think of it:
Krinard really tries to do a good job, the writing is very good, the vampire angle cool, but she shows a bit too much respect for Austen's story by sticking too close to the original. And let me be honest (with the fear of getting clobbered), Pride and Prejudice just isn't that interesting if you do not add some serious zombie mayhem to the story. Nice job all in all, but it falls flat for me.

-----------------------

Little to Hex Her by Janet Mullany
Present-day Washington, D.C., is full of curious creatures in Janet Mullany's story, wherein Emma is a witch with a wizard boyfriend and a paranormal dating service to run.

What did I think of it:
I didn't expect to like this one as I think the Emma story and the paranormal dating agency thing have both been over used, but I ended up really liking it. It was a funny and breezy read. Mullany does a nice job in bringing Emma into the 21st century and her writing style is so pleasant I will gladly try something else she has written.

-----------------------

Why should you read this book:
If you like Jane Austen and/or Supernatural stories I think you'll like this anthology as well.

3 comments:

M.A.D. said...

Howdi, McPig :D

Well, you had me at supernatural anthology (my fav format!). This one's going on the ever-lengthening TBR list.

And if these delightful paranormal books continue to get churned out, I'm gonna have to rent space in the 5th dimension just to house my wish list ;D

Great review, ye brain-lovin' scalliwag!

Sullivan McPig said...

My wishlist is HUGE as well ;-)

Anonymous said...

I just might have to give this book a try.