Wednesday 8 September 2010

Kiss of the Rose - A Book Review by Voodoo Bride

*This review might be a bit spoilery about the romance storyline*

Kiss of the Rose by Kate Pearce (The Tudor Vampire Chronicles #1)

What is it about:
Desperate to defeat King Richard III and gain the crown, Henry Tudor made a pact with the Druids binding him and his heirs to the Druids' struggle against vampires. Ever since, the Llewellyns, a vampire- slaying family, have been in the king's employ. Now Henry VIII reigns, and his father's bargain has been almost forgotten-until bloodless corpses turn up in the king's bedchamber. To save the king, Vampire hunter Rosalind Llewellyn must form an uneasy alliance with Druid slayer Sir Christopher Ellis. But soon, Rosalind must face an unthinkable truth: that her sworn enemy may be her soulmate...

What did Voodoo Bride think of it:
I love it when two of my favourite genres are combined, so this historical paranormal story sounded like something I had to read. The writing is pleasant and I loved the world building. There was enough historical detail to make the setting believable and I liked the two warring factions: the druids and the vampires.

The action storyline was a bit overshadowed by the developing relationship between Rosalind and Christopher and if the romance is good I don't mind this, but the romance storyline was a bit too angsty and problematic for my taste. I don't mind some obstacles along the way, but in this case both Rosalind and Christopher were acting way too difficult in my opinion and I felt like whacking their heads together, something I normally leave to Sullivan.

The next book in this series will conclude the story about Rosalind and Christopher and I will most probably buy it to see how the action storyline will work out and in the hope that both hero and heroine will shape up and they actually stand up and fight for their happily ever after.

Why should you read it:
If you like both historicals and paranormals this is a book for you