Wednesday 21 July 2010

They Call Me Death - Book Review


They Call Me Death by Missy Jane (e-book)

What is it about:
My name is Alexia Williams. In my world, North America is divided between north and south—but not the way it’s taught in the history books.
After losing my family to the shifters, I joined the Combined Human States Army. Now I find myself on the front lines, defending the wall between my species and theirs. My mission is simple: keep the animals on their side by whatever means necessary—and I’m good at it. I don’t talk to them. I don’t sympathize with them. I sure as hell don’t admire them…until one saves my life.

Andor isn’t like any shifter I’ve ever met. He’s a three-hundred-year-old golden eagle asking for help finding missing shifters who may be in my lands. I just have to decide between helping the animals or ignoring signs that my fellow humans aren’t what I thought they were. But how can I help a species I hate and fear? Even if Andor makes me feel alive again?

In the land of the shifters…they call me Death.


What did I think of it:
The story idea is cool: a world divided with humans on one side and shifters on the other and a human needing to team up with one of the creatures she hates. But as proven before an idea is not enough. The writing is very stilted which made it hard to get into the story and the characters stay flat. I found it hard to believe that Alexia is this kick ass, shifter hating female deserving herself the nickname Death as there's little background or examples of her deadly nature before she goes off adventuring with Andor. I think this story has potential, but needs a bit of rewriting to add more character depth and for a lot of things there should be 'showing not telling' to make the story come alive.

Why should you read it:
The setting and story idea are very cool

3 comments:

Author Missy Jane said...

Sullivan, thank you so much for reading my book! I'm sorry you found it lacking, but I have written a prequel to help add a bit of background. It's available free on my blog: http://theodereikspack.blogspot.com. Thank you for the review :)

Sullivan McPig said...

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Midnight Sapphire Books said...

That;s a very great idea, humans vs shifters. Sounds very interesting.

I think I'm going to check that prequel!